Building a Sidewalk





Many times it has been impressed upon me that "The Argentine year begins in March." This means that January is an excellent time for vacations (and, as you can see in the entries that follow -- I have been taking plenty of these to explore Patagonia!) It´s also a great time for doing work projects that you don´t have time for during the regular year.
I am particularly proud of this sidewalk project because I have been hearing about the need for building a safe "vereda" (sidewalk) in front of the church for many months now. It has been a hazard for elderly folks and young children walking on this part of the street because of the deep ruts and holes. The city does not repair or build new sidewalks. So the congregation has been raising funds through hosting fun events like October´s Te-Bingo (an afternoon of tea and cakes and playing bingo) and through donations from amongst themselves. Now, the vereda project is well underway -- to the benefit of the whole barrio.


3 Comments:
Dear Kari,
Your pictures are spectacular and I literally didn't know that spectacular ice creations like that existed in our world. So beautiful. Thank you so much for your postings. I have waited patiently to hear once again. I am so glad you are doing well. love, vicki larson
truly a "habitat for humanity" project! Love you Kari!
Kari
Just downloading your blog to my color printer so that we can post you in your own little spot on the intern board in contexted. Thanks for your wonderful way of letting us share your journey. You inspired me to start my own blog for my recent trip to Guatemala (for language school), though I haven't been able to get the uploading picture part yet.
I can feel the joy of your experience in Patagonia and the new friends you are making, but have a new sense of how hard it is to be so far from home in another culture. Please remember that you are in our hearts every day, and our prayers. Blessings on your work and on you.
Barbara
Post a Comment
<< Home